Tuesday 20 October 2015

Seed Bank

Hi, everyone! today I will tell you about seed bank. I too interested to this topic because it a new info to me! Bank have many meanings. One of the meaning is a supply or stock held in reserve for future use. One example for this topic is The Svalbard Global Seed VaultWhat they do is preserve the seeds of world’s plant life. Means that they duplicate samples, or spare copies of seeds held in gene banks worldwide. The seed vault is an attempt to insure against the loss of seeds in other gene banks during large-scale regional or global rises. The seed vault is managed under terms spelled out in a tripartite agreement between the Norwegian government, the Global Crop Diversity Trust (GCDT) and the Nordic Genetic Resource Center (NordGen).

The seeds are stored in four-ply sealed envelopes, then placed into plastic tote containers on metal shelving racks. The storage rooms are kept at −18 °C (−0.4 °F). The low temperature and limited access to oxygen will ensure low metabolic activity and delay seed aging. The permafrost surrounding the facility will help maintain the low temperature of the seeds should the electricity supply fail. Here I put a picture so you get what I mean. ^_^. And another picture is entrance to the Vault. 












okay, I think that's all I want to story about this. I hope we'll see to next entrance. TQ! ><



No comments:

Post a Comment